Forget the western style clothes and the Wrangler jeans, cowboy boots are the quintessential piece that make a cowboy’s look. With over 40,000 pairs of boots in stock at our western wear warehouse, you could say we know a thing or two about cowboy boots. While you may find the perfect pair of cowboy boots, they may not always be the most comfortable. If your boots are feeling a little too tough for your liking, you can always soften your cowboy boots.
Steps to Soften Your Cowboy Boots
Make your cowboy boots fit like a glove. Follow the steps below to learn how to soften cowboy boots without ruining them.
- Soak a cloth in warm water and wring it out so it’s still wet, but not dripping. Then, rub leather saddle soap on the cloth until it starts to lather. Leather and water do not mix well, so it is important that you use the right products to make your cowboy boots last.
- Working in slow, small circles, rub in the saddle soap onto the outside upper part of the boot. Start at the toe and end at the back of the foot. For the most comfortable cowboy boots, let them soak in saddle soap for an hour. To soften cowboy boots with hard leather, let them soak longer.
- Once the time is up, remove any excess saddle soap while simultaneously shining your cowboy boots with a towel as you buff the surface. To soften cowboy boots that have hard leather, you may need to buff an extra time.
- Put your new Sheplers cowboy boots on with a thick pair of socks in order to help stretch out the leather faster. This trick works perfectly for women’s riding boots to men’s work boots.
- Continue to wear your boots around the house with thick socks to stretch them out.
- Softening your cowboy boots may take some time, so if the leather is still too stiff after two days, repeat these steps until your boots reach your ideal level of softness.
Cowboy Boots Care Tips
Taking the time to soften your cowboy boots can make the difference between boots you can only wear an hour at a time and an everyday pair. Now that you know how to soften cowboy boots, you may also be interested in knowing how to shrink cowboy boots and how to break in American cowboy boots to ensure that your boots have the best fit possible.
Our online western wear store has a wide variety of cowboy hats and cowboy boots in different sizes, shapes, and textures to ensure everyone in your family is rodeo ready. Consider Sheplers your one stop shop for all your western wear needs, our cowboys pride themselves on help you find the perfect cowboy boots to best fit your individual style and needs.
Original Post: June 2016
Updated on: February 2021